Sabtu, 7 Januari 2012

Yesterday, When I Was Young


"It seems the love I've known, 
has always been the most destructive kind.
I guess that's why now, 
feel so old before my time." 

Yesterday, when I was young, 
The taste of life was sweet, as rain upon my tongue, 
teased at life, as if it were a foolish game, 
The way the evening breeze may tease a candle flame 
The thousand dreams I dreamed, the splendid things I planned, 
I always built, alas, on weak and shifting sand, 
I lived by night, and shunned the naked light of day, 
And only now, I see, how the years ran away 

Yesterday, when I was young, 
So many happy songs were waiting to be sung, 
So many wild pleasures lay in store for me, 
And so much pain, my dazzled eyes refused to see 
I ran so fast that time, and youth at last ran out, 
I never stopped to think, what life, was all about, 
And every conversation, I can now recall, 
Concerned itself with me, and nothing else at all 

Yesterday, the moon was blue, 
And every crazy day, brought something new to do, 
I used my magic age, if it were a wand, 
And never saw the worst, and the emptiness beyond 

The game of love I played, with arrogance and pride, 
And every flame I lit, too quickly, quickly died, 
The friends I made, all seemed somehow to drift away, 
And only I am left, on stage to end the play 
There are so many songs in me, that won't be sung, 
I feel the bitter taste, of tears upon my tongue, 
The time has come for me to pay, 
For yesterday, when I was young.

Roy Clark

Tiada ulasan: